REWARDS FOR PEOPLE & THE PLANET

REWARDS FOR PEOPLE & THE PLANET
CLICK TO SIGN UP TODAY!!

SEARCH. EARN. REDEEM.

Search & Win

Sunday, January 16, 2011

BUY IT OR DIY-IT?

I'm all for 'do-it-yourself' projects - it speaks to the creative side of my being - plus I totally enjoy the concept of 'up-cycling'/re-purposing things. I can remember when I was younger spending lots of time looking at old houses and seeing the "potential" in them - wanting to fix 'em up; same with old cars.

Well, as an adult - before and after kids, I've just never had the monetary luxury to do either of those things but have found smaller ways to use my creative talents.

I really enjoyed this article I received today from Country Living Magazine. I thought it warranted sharing.

CLICK HERE to check it out for yourself.
Here's my feedback on the ideas:
1. Floral magnets: DEFINITELY D.I.Y. = a really cool idea and totally cost effective and doable.
2. Tote Bag: While these are cute - There are so many available for less than $1 or FREE that taking time to make yet another bag - not so much for me, anyway.
3. Storybook Clock: O.M.G. - this project is totally cute! I LOVE it! In fact, during my last thrift store shopping spree in Oregon, I picked up some old children's books - one of them being my childhood favorite, The Owl and The Pussy Cat, which was in SUPERB condition. Depending on the cost of the clock movement - this is certainly a good project!
4. Hurricane Candle: I don't see myself making this - or buying for that matter. Just a personal preference thing, I guess.
5. Table Runner: DEFINITELY D.I.Y.: What a cute project. Being a collector of old handkerchiefs, this was a real winning idea for me! I'd not seen this before. Love it! Quilt scraps work, too!
6. Vase: Vases are a dime a dozen - you can pick these up for next to nothing at Thrift stores, yard sales. Although, cute - I personally would not spend my time gluing a bunch of pencils to a container to make a vase. If I had a surplus of pencils - I'd probably donate them to an elementary school or a non-profit organization dedicated to children.
7. Message Board: Yeah, that works for me. Depending on my situation. You can generally find boards at Thrift store for a fraction of regular retail and frames as well - however, when I factor in my time - would I make one instead of buying? I dunno - depends.
8. Display Shelves: I would probably NOT do this project - although cute, it doesn't interest me.
9. Bookcase: Ditto #8 10. Headboard: Ditto #8

There are some great ideas in the "other craft projects" sections. I particularly like the flower projects.

Well, back to the point, I guess - before you BUY something - think about if you can DIY it instead.

DIY Vase (in photo above)-courtesy of Country Living Magazine
Floral foam and glass marbles aren't the only ways to hold flowers aloft. Instead, a bunch of vintage milk bottles gives this arrangement—featured in Decorating with Flowers—its structure. Simply line up nine same-size vessels in three rows of three. Then wrap gardener's twine around the grouping twice and tie the ends. Finish the blooming display by placing two to three stems in each container.
My Comments (of course I have to add one...): Don't have vintage milk bottles? Try glass bottles from beverage drinks like Lipton Tea, Sobe, Izzie - remove the labels and whalah!

No comments: