REWARDS FOR PEOPLE & THE PLANET

REWARDS FOR PEOPLE & THE PLANET
CLICK TO SIGN UP TODAY!!

SEARCH. EARN. REDEEM.

Search & Win

Monday, January 24, 2011

NOT SO STICKY ALTERNATIVE

Ok, as I move through the first month of the new year, I've been challenging myself every day to take a hard long look at what I eat, where I get it, the packaging it's in, how I store it...blah, blah, blah. I also have been trying to use what I have "stored" away instead of buying more 'stuff' and am looking at each thing I use with 'wasteful' questioning eyes.

Today's find: Lint rollers. My husband is obsessed with them. I, on the other hand, get so annoyed with them. The the sticky sheets never peel away correctly and once you remove the so called magnetic 'cover' from them, it never goes back on right - leaving that new fresh sheet on the roller exposed to whatever may stick to it - even things you don't want it to stick to.

I use to keep him stocked with a plethora of rollers for his use - however, since I've been trying to get away from 'over consumerism' et al, I've let him use up the stock on hand. Today I presented him with a 'green alternative' hoping it wouldn't meet with too much rejection.

Here are some 'alternatives' to lint rollers which are very useful but so incredibly wasteful:
1. The Washcloth: Yep, you got it - the washcloth! Who knew? This is my first alternative choice because well it doesn't cost anything to "switch" because undoubtedly you have one (or two or three) in your home already.
To use: Simply wet the washcloth lightly being sure to wring out any excess water and proceed to wipe clothes, furniture or whatever else needs a little lint free maintenance. This works well for me as I usually use a lint roller as I'm ironing my garments so the dampness goes away with ironing.

2. The "Magik Lint Brush": I've had this item before and I'm not sure what happened to it; my guess it grew lonely next to the stack of lint rollers and eventually made it to the donation pile.

Alas, I may get another one to present to my husband as a 'peace offering' in lieu of his beloved lint rollers. If you don't want to hassle with the wet wash cloth, then this option may be for you. This brush doesn't require any of the sticky papers and can be used over and over again. It will need to be replaced about every three months. This is my second favorite option as it is still cost effective and does the job with less waste. You'll save about $90 a year over the use of lint rollers. These brushes are available from a number of sources on the Internet and in department stores.

3. The Pet Hair Sponge:
Pet owner like me? Well you know full well that pet hair can be an issue depending on the type of pet you have. Grooming your pet helps to cut down on the hair, but alas, not all of it. Your vacuum cleaner can assist but is often cumbersome and uses electricity. This pet hair sponge which is available at most pet supply stores is reasonably priced and does a great job if the standard wet washcloth approach doesn't work for you.

If you've got other alternatives please let's hear from you!

No comments: