REWARDS FOR PEOPLE & THE PLANET

REWARDS FOR PEOPLE & THE PLANET
CLICK TO SIGN UP TODAY!!

SEARCH. EARN. REDEEM.

Search & Win

Thursday, March 10, 2011

DIY: SPRINGTIME GLASS BOTTLE VASES

GREAT DIY PROJECT FROM HAPPY CLIPPINGS!! ENJOY!!

DIY: Springtime Glass Bottle Vases

GlassBottleVasesCloseupSide

I am re-purposing glass again. This time I am using bottles instead of glass jars.

I thought some of our soon-to-recycled glass bottles might look cool as bud vases for flowers. I like that these bottles are green. The color green, the word “RENEW”, flowers and butterflies all make me think of spring!

GlassBottleVasesAll

I wanted to spruce up the bottles. I first thought of painting letters on them or placing some sort of letter adhesive. But then I saw a picture of a wine bottle with a gift tag on it. So I made my own gift tags and “prettied” them up. I love how using the gift tags makes the design changeable. You could take them off and use different tags with other letters to spell different words.

For this crafty project I used green glass bottles, a piece of a paper bag, scrap book paper, ribbon, string, hole puncher, small square foam double-sided adhesives, pencil, black sharpie pen, dark brown pencil, and glue. Most items you probably already have.

GlassBottleVasesMaterials

Here’s how I made my springtime glass bottle flower vases:

I first created butterflies. I made a butterfly template, traced it on scrap book paper and cut it out. I folded each butterfly in half to give some dimension. I also glued on some pretty green ribbon to the body to add texture.

GlassBottleVasesButterflies

To make the gift tags, I first cut out some squares using a square puncher. The bigger squares were made from a paper bag. The smaller squares were made from scrap book paper. I punched a hole in the top middle of each of the bigger squares. I then looped string each hole.

GlassBottleVasesLetterTags

On the smaller squares I drew each individual letter. I created a templates for each letter. (I don’t have letter stencils). I traced it on the square, colored it in with a dark brown pencil and outlined it with a black sharpie pen. On the bigger squares with the hole and string, I placed a double-sided foam adhesive in the middle. I then placed and secured the smaller square on top. I used the foam adhesive to give some depth to these tags.

I tied the string of the gift tag around a glass bottle. I made sure I could easily get the tags on and off the bottle. There are a few reasons why. You want to have them off when filling each bottle with water. You don’t want to get these prettied up paper tags wet. I also didn’t my decoration to be permanent. This way later you can take it off and recycle or repurpose the bottles another way OR you can also create different words and change things around. The possibilities are endless using this flexible glass bottle decoration!

GlassBottleVasesOneCloseup

I liked to put something more permanent inside like “fake” flowers (made of fabric, tissues, etc) instead of fresh flowers. But I am loving it right now with fresh flowers.

No comments: