REWARDS FOR PEOPLE & THE PLANET

REWARDS FOR PEOPLE & THE PLANET
CLICK TO SIGN UP TODAY!!

SEARCH. EARN. REDEEM.

Search & Win

Thursday, March 24, 2011

LOVE MUCH, DESIRE LITTLE

"Love much and desire little, if you would enjoy the world's beauty to the fullest" - Jeff Cox

With reports of economic downfall spewing from newscasts for over a year now, reports of other countries managing through horrific circumstances, how is it that American's go about their daily lives just "consuming" without conscience almost. Now I'm not saying that as successful people we should enjoy the 'fruits of our labor' - but when does success cross over into over consumerism?

Seriously. Shop-acholic-ism if you may. Do we really "need" so much "stuff"? Grant it, I'm not suggesting either that any of us should trade places with others in the world (or in our own country, for that matter) who are less fortunate - I'm just saying it wouldn't hurt to evaluate a little about what it is that we really "need".

Here are a couple of techniques to delay the "gratification" of over-consumption.

1. Create a "Wish List" - add every tempting new item you come across to this list.

Amazon.com has a great Wish List system that I have been using for years. It even allows you to add items you might find from any store. They have clear instructions on how to set it up and it's so easy to manage.

Here's what I do. Let's say I'm in Macy's and I see this beautiful serving platter or bowl that I "have to have"...I tell myself, "I'll add that to my wish list" - I come home and go to Macys.com - find the item and then put it on my Amazon.com wish list. I can keep track of all my 'desires'. This list tells you when it was added and how many you want along with the priority.

2. Make a "pack" with yourself that you won't purchase anything that isn't in the top three items and hasn't been on your list for at least a month (or six months or a year, depending on much you want to test yourself).

3. Revisit your list regularly. You may be surprised how many things are passing fancies you can simply "delete" from the list.

Another way to reduce clutter and too much "stuff" is to follow the "One In, One Out" rule. For everyone new (or new to you) item you bring into your house, you must get rid of one equivalent item (donate, sell, recycle - don't dump!). For example: A new book in means one book out; one new sweater in, means one sweater out.

When you get to the point where you'd need to give up something you REALLY love, you may begin to think differently about acquiring anything at all.

Again, for me - it's the whole time needed to manage all the "stuff" - cleaning, folding, washing, arranging, sorting, etc. NO THANKS! It's hard enough to take care of what I "NEED"... I'm slowly teaching myself to cut back (even if it's FREE stuff) on "stuff" to free up my time so it can be better spent on the things that mean the most to me...Not to mention, being more ecologically and environmentally responsible.

2 comments:

[əmændə] said...

did you take this from the page a day green calendar?

Allison said...

Indeed it was the basis for my post which went hand in hand with several practices I already do. Thanks for stopping by.